Skill-building: Environmentally Friendly Practices
Program is subject to change.
Day 1 – registration from 11.00am – 11.30am. Finish 4.30pm
Claremont College, 61 Claremont Link Road, Claremont
- Conference Opening – Rosemary Anderson, Principal Education Officer, Australian Curriculum: Science, Department of Education
- A-Lab: technological and electronic gadgets your school can hire – Stuart Thorne, Project Manager, Peter Underwood Centre
- Tour of Claremont College Science facilities in groups
- Digital Microscopes, microscope cameras and other interesting science equipment – Mark Leonard, Imbros.
- Handling and storage of radioactive substances – Félix Werner, Health Physicist, Radiation Protection Unit, Population Health Services
- Microbes and Winogradsky columns – will be set up on Monday and kept on display till the end of the conference.
Day 2 – 8.30am – 4.00pm
Sustainability Learning Centre, Hobart College, and Mt Nelson Fire Station, Mt Nelson
- Introduction, Jenny Dudgeon, President, Science Teachers Association
- Tour of the SLC educational facilities and energy-efficient buildings – Nel Smit, Education Co-ordinator, Greening Australia
- Greening Australia workshop (getting down and dirty outside: bring your gardening gloves!!) – Anna Minchin, Revegetation Program Leader, Greening Australia
- Tour of Hobart College Science facilities – Andrea Pender and Mel Best, Laboratory Technicians, Hobart College and Royal Australian Chemical Institute demos – John Robertson, member of RACI
- Fire safety – Phil Sansom, Volunteer in both operational fire-fighting and in training for over 35 years
- Conference Dinner, 6.30pm, St Albi, Albert Rd, Moonah (to be confirmed). Dinner speaker (change of speaker): Ross Gordon, Owner, Grumpy Bee Honey, Crabtree (grumpybee.com.au).
Day 3 – 9.00am – 2.00pm
Claremont College, 61 Claremont Link Road, Claremont
- Microscope maintenance – William Hardman, Laboratory Manager, Newstead College
- Reducing the cost of chemical disposal, workshop
- Rock kits and Teacher Earth Science Education Programme (TESEP) – Philip Sansom, Tasmania Coordinator, TESEP
- Australian Education Union and Independent Education Union Representatives available at lunch time.
- Science Assist: a great science education resource
- SETA, Science Education Technicians Australia
- This is an opportunity to recycle unwanted holdings. There will be a space where anyone attending the TALM conference can display items of equipment and transportable chemicals that you would like to sell, exchange or give away.
- Please place a label showing your name with the items. All transactions are between the bringer and taker and do not in any way involve the conference organisers or TALM. Anything left behind will be disposed of immediately after the conference closes.
Please help us reduce waste by bringing
- Your work name tag
- “Keep-cup” (re-usable cup)
- Water bottle
Bee collecting Manuka nectar. Courtesy Ross Gordon, grumpybee.com.au
View from the main entrance of the Sustainability Learning Centre, Mt. Nelson.
COVID-19 Safety measures
The conference will be guided by the current Tasmanian Government regulations current on the day.
TALM and our venues require the following:
- Use hand sanitiser at sign in station
- Sign in and provide contact details on arrival each day
- Seating will be set 1.5m apart and participants are asked to maintain this distancing whenever possible
- Density at 1 person per 2 square metres
- Tours will involve splitting into groups
- Catering stations will be spread out to avoid crowding
- Disposable gloves, alcohol wipes or individual kits will be provided for hands-on activities, as appropriate to the activity
- Do not attend any day’s activities if you are unwell.
Delegates will be responsible for arranging their own. See your school Business Manager for funding through the school P.L. budget.
Riverfront Motel & Villas are offering corporate ratesfor TALM conference delegates
Riverfront Motel & Villas
11 Strathaven Drive, Rosetta 7010 (HOBART) Tasmania
Phone: 03 6272 6721 Fax: 03 6273 1061
Please mention that you are part of the TALM conference to obtain the following rates:
– Budget Queen Rooms (queen bed): $84 per night
– Riverview Rooms (queen & single bed): $94 per night
– Two Bedroom Self Contained Villa (queen & 3 single beds): $129 per night for 1 person, each additional person $10 per night
Further information can be found here: https://riverfronthobart.com/stay/
The menu can be found here: https://riverfronthobart.com/eat/
Monday evening meal:
Fiona is organising a small group booking for interested conference delegates at the Riverfront Motel & Villas as they have a large dining room available. Delegates cover all their own costs for this meal. Please email Fiona asap if you are interested.
Tuesday evening – Conference Dinner
6.30pm at St. Albi, Moonah (venue to be confirmed).
Full registration includes the cost of the Conference Dinner – food only – purchase own drinks. Partners or family members also need to be paid in advance via the registration form below.
Fiona Hay, E: fiona.hay(is a dancing llama)education.tas.gov.au, T: 0409 435 750
Miriam McFarlane, E: miriam.mcfarlane(is a dancing llama)education.tas.gov.au">miriam.mcfarlane(is a dancing llama)education.tas.gov.au, T: 0468 540 025
Registration Form and Invoice
TALM is a non-profit organisation.
- Please register and pay by Friday 25th September
- Professional Learning funds should be available in your school, which your School Business Manager will be able to advise you about.
- It is essential that you email a digital version of your registration form to Mel Gleeson mel.gleeson(is a dancing llama)education.tas.gov.au">mel.gleeson(is a dancing llama)education.tas.gov.au at the time the form is submitted to the school business manager for payment, so that your registration and payment records can be connected in our system.
Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.
Delegate’s email address______________________________________________________________
Gluten-free o Dairy-free o Vegan o Vegetarian o
Other (please specify):
Full registration covers all day sessions, morning teas, lunches and Conference Dinner (purchase own drinks).
TALM member o $130
Non-member o $165
Part registration costs
TALM member: $50/day
Dinner + Talk only: $60
Attending: Monday o Tuesday o Tuesday Dinner+Talk o Wednesday o
TOTAL payable: $
The School/College finance staff:
please email confirmation of payment amount to:
mel.gleeson(is a dancing llama)education.tas.gov.au">mel.gleeson(is a dancing llama)education.tas.gov.au with the name(s) of the delegates and the days &/or dinner they are being paid for.
BSB: 807-009 Account Number 12129978
Account Name: Tasmanian Association of Laboratory Managers
2. CHEQUE/MONEY ORDER:
Please ensure the name(s) of the delegates and the days &/or dinner they are being paid for are included with this payment.
Payment made out to Tasmanian Association of Laboratory Managers
Post to Mel Gleeson
C/- Ogilvie High School
228 New Town Rd
NEW TOWN TAS 7008